I haven’t couponed since April. The shakes went away after a few weeks. After not feeling well and spending three days in pajamas, I needed to get out of the house today. The kids and I went shopping to grab some loss leaders and begin to replenish our school supply stock. Loss leaders are the special deals usually listed on the front page of a store’s weekly sale ad, and they have quantity limits. They get you in the store so you’ll spend more money than you planned. I didn’t. Ha!
For all of you non-couponing types, these deals are good until this Saturday, and I didn’t use a single coupon. Here’s what we picked up:
Office Depot (2 different stores – both close to my house):
(6) Vinyl zipper pouches – Retail 1.99/ Paid .01 each
(6) Acrylic Rulers – Retail .99/ Paid .01 each
(6) 1 subject notebooks – Retail .99/ Paid .01 each
(3) 2 ct. Dry Erase Markers - Retail 2.99/ Paid .50 each
(20) Foray Rollerball Pens (My favorite pens!) – Retail 1.99/ Paid .50 each
Total Retail $72.59/Paid: $11.68 84% Savings
(6) Crayola Markers – .99 each
(11) 5 ct. mechanical pencils – .29 each
(4) 10 ct. pens – .29 each
(4) 6 ct. highlighter – .49 each
Total Retail $66.65/Paid $12.25 82% Savings
(5) 4 pocket folders – Retail 1.00/ Paid .25 each
(3) 12 ct. pencils –Retail 1.00/ Paid .25 each
(2) 12 ct. Colored Pencils Retail 2.00/ Paid .25 each
(3) Sharpie Singles Pens – Retail 1.79/ Paid.25 each
(5) 100 sheet filler paper –Retail 1.00/ Paid 0 (free)
Total Retail $22.37/Paid $3.25 85% Savings
Total Retail $161.61 Total Paid $27.18 84% Savings
These totals were before sales tax. I could have done even better if I were couponing, but summer was way too busy! Because I was a smart shopper and couponer for the 6 months leading up to summer, we were able to live off our stockpile with a few runs to the store here and there. Sadly, my coupon binder is fairly empty, so Zoe and I are working on filling it again this week. My pile of inserts is about a foot tall.
If you have these stores near you and a little extra change this week, there are A LOT of families that are struggling to buy the supplies their kids need for school this year. Buy some stuff and GIVE IT AWAY! Be a good neighbor. I know you want to.